Economic Development Futures Journal

Thursday, January 19, 2006

counter statistics

History of the B&O Railroad

My Granddad worked on the railroad in Wheeling, WV. My Dad remembers hopping boxcars from Benwood to Wheeling as a young boy. The railroad has a rich and interesting history. You might find this short piece on the B&O Railraod to be of interest.

The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) is one of the oldest railroads in the United States, with an original line from the port of Baltimore, Maryland west to the Ohio River at Wheeling, West Virginia and Parkersburg, West Virginia. It is now part of the CSX network, and includes the oldest operational railroad bridge in the world. The B&O also coincidentally included the Leiper Railroad, the first permanent railroad in the U.S. The railroad's former shops in Baltimore, including the Mt. Clare roundhouse, now house the B&O Railroad Museum.

3 Comments:

  • somewhere in time circa 1920 my grandfather was the stationmaster for the b&o

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:54 PM  

  • Cool. In Wheeling? Tell me more. Thanks.

    By Blogger Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D., at 1:58 PM  

  • He died in 1946 so I don't remember much. I was in Wheeling until 1959. Now in Cleveland area.I don't know if he was s/m for the downtown terminal or one of the freight. I've been trying to contact a cousin in Moundsville to see if she has any info or pictures. My email is pwstoehr@hotmail.com I guess Im just curious after all these years. I also traced his father Christian who worked for several of the wheeling breweries fron 1850 on. Just interesting

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home