Economic Development Futures Journal

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

counter statistics

Would You Recommend It to Your Kids?

My question is: "Would you recommend economic development as a career path for your kids?"

If you would recommend it to them, what are the three leading reasons you would suggest they consider the field?

If you would not encourage them to enter the field, what are the three major reasons why you would not recommend the field?

It does not appear that my two sons, Jeffrey and Jason, are headed into the field. Neither seems, at this point, pre-disposed toward the field. Jeff is studying biology and hoping to study dentistry. Jason is studying computer science and hoping to work in the IT field.

I would certainly recommend economic development to them, but I would caution them on the limited number of "really good jobs in the field;" that is jobs that pay over $150,000 after ten years in the field.

I would advise them to ground themselves in the core disciplines feeding the field that offer transferable skills, in case they decided to move outside economic development after a stay in the field. In my judgment, these include: real estate, finance, marketing, planning, project management, and communications/interpersonal relations. I would encourage them to acquire the education, professional skills, and work experiences that would enable them to work as a developer, if they decided to move beyond economic development.

Now, what are your thoughts?

2 Comments:

  • Mark Twain said, "Buy land. I've heard they stopped makin' it".

    Good thing I don't have kids...

    By Blogger George Nemeth, at 5:20 PM  

  • I don't have kids, but I have numerous nieces and nephews, and I would definitely recommend ED as a career path. It's a great combination of intellectually challenging work while doing things that benefit the community and meeting lots of people. Of course, some ED jobs are better than others but that's true in any field.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home