Economic Development Futures Journal

Saturday, December 06, 2003

counter statistics

Comments on the Boeing Decision

Here is a cross-section of comments on the Boeing decision picked up by the Seattle Times.

"It's not over, it's not over."
-Gov. Gary Locke

"This was never a contest. I get the impression that this whole thing was a way to put pressure on Washington, and it seems to have worked."
-Richard Aboulafia, an aerospace analyst with the Teal Group

"I have had personal discussions with Boeing leadership, and I know for a fact that no final decisions have been made. I think it is important to respect the integrity of Boeing's internal decision-making process."
-U.S. Sen. Maria Cantwell, Washington Democrat

"I am, in keeping with the season, in gleeful anticipation of a decision and that our hard work will benefit this region and the state."
-Snohomish County Executive Bob Drewel

"We did not solicit Boeing and we are not trying to steal anybody. ... We're not raiders. We've got people lining up to come here. If they stay (in Everett), God bless them."
-State Sen. John Kerr of North Carolina, one of the states still vying for the Boeing 7E7 plant

"I don't think it was a slam-dunk in many ways. I think costs are driving a lot of decisions these days. If we can be cost-competitive, we can keep Boeing and attract other businesses as well."
-Don Brunell, president of the Association of Washington Business in Olympia

"I am not going to get my hopes up about the 7E7 landing here. ... I hope that it is. I am No. 10 to get a recall from the company for my job category. (Boeing CEO Harry) Stonecipher would be wise to choose to stay here, as there could be labor-relation problems if he decides to pull the plug and go somewhere else."
-Jane Robins, of Arlington, laid off from Boeing's Everett plant in April

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home