Economic Development Futures Journal

Wednesday, February 19, 2003

counter statistics

ED Tool Box: We Need Economic
Development Case Studies


This article is a part of our ED Tool Box series, which provides practical advice on how to do things. This article focuses on writing economic development case studies.

Case studies are effective tools for communicating about economic development issues. We have few to draw upon, and we need more. Many business and law schools use them. Businesses use them often to understand their customers and competitors and to describe their success in serving customers. Good case studies help us to learn the general in the specific.

How many times have you said: "Gee, it would be helpful to know how others have done something." As a consultant doing work for many clients in any given year, people call me for this type of information. Sometimes they need "best practice" information. Other times, people want to know the process that another community, region or state followed to create and implement a new program or initiative. Usually, that information does not exist because we have not taken the time to write it down. This is where case studies can be very helpful.

My proposal is that the economic development community spend some time putting pen to paper, or more appropriately today putting your fingers to the keyboard, and produce more case studies on economic development policy and practice.

Why do this? Because it will help all of us to define and communicate the "value" that exists in the organizations, programs and projects that we manage. In today's ever-so-tight budget world, demonstrating your value is essential to competing for resources. Also, case studies help us to learn about what does and does not work in economic development. Case studies can help us to improve our performance.

Who could help on this task? I think several groups could help to generate more ED cases. Here are some to start us thinking: Economic Development Institute (EDI) at the University of Oklahoma, International Economic Development Council (IEDC), the ED associations in other countries, such as EDAC in Canada, regional associations like the Midamerica Economic Development Council and the Southern Economic Development Council, and the state ED associations. Also, I think groups like The Competitiveness Institute, which tracks industry cluster initiatives worldwide, could be helpful resources. ED consultants and university researchers could provide a hand with their existing knowledge of EDO's. Everyone's help is needed.

I see the need for two distinct types of case studies:

1. "How to" cases that describe how a community, region or state created, implemented, evaluated, rejuvenated an organization, policy, strategy, program or project. The case focuses on how you did something.

2. "Lessons learned" cases that describe the good, bad and ugly of putting an organization, program or project into motion. This type of case focuses on what you learned by doing something. Transferable lessons to other organizations are most helpful.

How do you prepare an effective case study? Most of us need to learn a few simple skills to accomplish this job. Here are a few starting questions you will need to ask yourself:

1. What is the case study about? Is it about your organization, your community, an investment project, or some other issue of interest?

2. Why am I writing this case study? How will it help me? How could it help others? Who is the primary audience?

3. What type of case study should I write? Is this a "how to" or a "lessons learned" case?

4. Do I know enough to write an effective and useful case study? What information do I have now? What research is needed?

5. Should I write the case myself, collaborate with others, or hire a professional writer to do the job?

6. How do I write a factual case study that goes beyond just my opinions and views? Should I incorporate others' viewpoints in the case?

7. How will I use the case study and how can it be made available to others?

8. How long should the case be? My suggestion is think in the 3-10 page range.

9. Now, tell me again why I'm doing this? Because it will help to communicate the "value" that exists in economic development.

10. Where can I go for help? Try the Society for Case Research for starters.

Equipped with good answers to these questions, you are now ready to begin.

By the way, this is a subject that I have a deep interest in. Give me a call. I am happy to help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home