Economic Development Futures Journal

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

counter statistics

On Economic Development

Revolutions happen in the Springtime, if you let them. Spring is a time for us to think in a transformational way about ourselves. It is a time of insatiable yearning to explore parts of ourselves we have longed to know and embrace.

As I muse about my thirty years in economic development, I wonder where the time has gone, but even more importantly, what I have truly given of value to this field and those I exist to serve. Second, if I spend another ten or even fifteen years in this business, how can I give more of those things that truly matter?

Scanning the options that I can see at this moment, I conclude two things about the future. One, that I feel a stronger sense of compassion for the communities and people for which I work. It's not that I haven't cared, but I don't think I've cared enough in the right way.

Second, that I need to be a better servant leader in the future. That requires me to set even more of myself aside as I move foward.

These are revolutionary thoughts, bred by the flowering Spring, that I wish to take root inside myself and the work I do.

May I ask: "what new things are being born inside you during this fine Spring day?"

2 Comments:

  • Don,

    In the short time we've know each other, you've continually persued you're 'higher calling'.

    Keep up the good work, my friend.

    By Blogger George Nemeth, at 8:04 AM  

  • Hi George,

    Thank you for saying that. I am working to care in the right way about my clients. Hopefully more our of compassion than fear. I can be of greater service to them if I do that. You're doing a great job too!

    Don

    By Blogger Don Iannone, D.Div., Ph.D., at 5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home