Economic Development Futures Journal

Sunday, December 14, 2003

counter statistics

Agriculture: The Foundation of American Prosperity, Wrong!

You never know what will turn up one day to the next on the Internet. I ran across an article that rubbed me the wrong way. The article justifies the current deep-pocket subsidies that farmers currently receive and asks for even more. Moreover, the article tries to say that agriculture drives prosperity in America. Just ain't so. Give me a break. Yes, agriculture is a very important sector of the economy, but hardly the kind of driver that the Ag lobby claims. I'm sorry but it's the manufacturing and service sectors that add the "value" to food that agriculture takes credit for.

This is not a slam at rural America. I grew up there. Rather, it argues that we need to be honest about how the economy works and the role that different industries play in it.

Go here to read more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home