Economic Development Futures Journal

Tuesday, August 12, 2003

counter statistics

More on ED Career Pathways

I've had several emails and even a real letter about my earlier article about economic development career pathways. I would like to share some of these comments with you because they reflect that there really is a problem in how we organize work in the field.

"Right on, Don. Your recent article about career pathways is very timely as I sit here at my desk wondering what my next step is in the field. Frankly, I've gone about as high as I can in the field...at least here in North Carolina. We need to reinvent ourselves, but I'm not sure where we even begin."

"I read your article about career pathways. It resonated with me. As a woman working in the field, I had to work very hard to get to the top. Now, here I am, and guess what? There is no place for me to go but sideways."

"You put the issues and questions out there. Now, what's the answer? What steps should I take to work on my career development? I have a growing family that needs lots of things. I love my economic development job, but it just doesn't pay enough. I have an MBA and worked in real estate for 3 years. I may have to switch fields to something that may be less fun, but pays more and provides better benefits. I read the new compensation survey results by IEDC and it just reinforces that we are not fairly compensated for what we do. "

"Iannone, I knew you followed a round about path into the field, but I had no idea that you almost preached your way into the field. In all seriousness, most of us "gray beards" in the field sort of fell into the field. I'm glad that I'm here and still have a great job. I love what I do. That's what keeps me here, even though I could do lots of other things to make money."

"I will be quite honest with you. My personality needs what the economic development field has to offer. I like being on stage. The visibility is important to me. I also like working with the power brokers in the community. I believe I make a difference in the community through what I do, so I'm not sure that I'd change a lot. At least not at this point."

"What is our national professional association (IEDC) doing about all this? I don't see much on career advancement. Yes, they offer plenty of courses on how to approach different practices, but I hear nothing that helps me plan my career in uncertain times. A couple people in the field have addressed this issue. For one, Rick Weddle from Phoenix has spoken on this topic at EDI. Mark Waterhouse from Connecticut has addressed the issue through the CED/CEdD perspective."

"I think the issue will resolve itself over time. I wouldn't make a big fuss about it. In fact, we could actually destroy the good thing we have by prescribing anything that remotely looks like a set of rigid career steps. I worked in a horrid bureaucracy before going to work for the chamber. There is a difference in career opportunities in government and the private sector. I think the best jobs in the field are in the private sector because you can be more creative there."

"As an old-timer in the field, I think this is an equally important issue for the senior members of the trade and the younger people just entering the field. For the experienced practitioner, you peak out and have to settle. For the new person entering the field, you don't know which way to go to maximize your career growth. It's tough, but in either case, you basically take what comes along."

Once in a while you hit upon a nerve with an article. I guess this was just one of them. I will continue to noodle this issue. In the meanwhile, keep your cards and letters coming. Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home